Music and Mantra is such a huge part of Kundalini Yoga. When Yogi Bhajan took the teachings of Kundalini Yoga to America in 1969, a fusion of Western-style music and mantra emerged. The mantras that we use in Kundalini yoga are in the sacred language Gurmukhi. The meaning of the mantras are encrypted in the vibrations of the sounds, and the way that they resonate internally through the body.
When we chant a mantra, the meridian points in the upper palate of the mouth are stimulated by the tongue in a particular rhythm and pattern. This initiates a chain of chemical reactions in the body, to rebalance the energy throughout the glandular system and organs. The vibration of sounds reasonate in the body to promote energy circulation throughout the Nadi channels (the body’s energetic pathways).
Sounds vibrations connect us to the infinite flow of energy. We do not even need to understand the meaning of the mantra for the power of the vibrations to bring energetic balance, and healing to the body and the mind.
In Kundalini yoga classes, you might chant along with the music, use it to set a pace or rhythm for a particular movement or breath pattern, or just listen to the mantra during relaxation periods.
I wanted to share some of my current favorites to inspire you during a home yoga practice, relaxation, or to enjoy in the car.
The best place to purchase the music is Spirit Voyage (www.spiritvoyage.com) or iTunes Store. Alternatively, you could search for the songs on Spotify.
Favourite Songs I love to Play in Classes:
- Aad Guray Nameh by Mirabai Ceiba (Awakened Earth)
- Anand (bliss) by Snatam Kaur (Anand)
- Ong Namo by Ajeet Kaur (At the Temple Door)
- Pavan Guru by Gurunam Singh (Breath of Devotion)
- Suniai by Ajeet Kaur (Darshan)
- Ong Sohung by Snatam Kaur (Shanti)
- Ardas Bhaee by Jai Jagdeesh (Of Heaven & Earth)
- Mul Mantra by Mirabai Ceiba (Mountain Sadhana)
- Mera Man Lochai by Sirgun Kaur (The Cosmic Gift)
- Longtime Sun by Snatam Kaur (Celebrate Peace)
- Ra Ma Da Sa by Snatam Kaur (Grace)
Beautiful Meditative/Relaxation Songs:
- Crimson Collection 1 & 2
- Crimson Collection 6 & 7
- Chattr Chakkr Deep Relaxation by Mirabai Ceiba
- Suni-ai (slow) by Snatam Kaur (Shanti)
Great Dance Beats/ Upbeat Songs:
- Wahe Guru Wahe Jio – Feat. Russell Brand by Kamari & Manvir
- Adi Shakti by Kamari & Manvir
- Bhangra Remix: Kundalini Mantra Fusion Mix – whole album
- Kundalini Technology by Kamari & Manvir – whole album
- Shanti by Snatam Kaur
- I am Thine by Jai Jagdeesh
- Light of the Naam: Morning Chants by Snatam Kaur
- Anand by Snatam Kaur
- Miracles Abound: Meditations for Transformation by Jai Jagdeesh
- Sevati by Mirabai Ceiba
- White Sun by White Sun
- Bhangra Remix: Kundalini Mantra Fusion Mix
- Liberation’s Door by Snatam Kaur
- Prem Siri by Nirinjan Kaur
- Grace by Snatam Kaur